oddball240 weeks
Knocky244 weeks
Teach248 weeks
FoxC261 weeks
cazza266 weeks
andye266 weeks
jacko266 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
The greatest 5
Knocky
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 00:36
Must Get Out More

This site seems to be slowly dieing so i was thinking recently who should be classed as a top 5 player to have played in our league over the many years
Everyone will have there favorites so ill start by listing mine and in the order of ranking.
1 mev
2 rod
3 jacko
4 jason deegan
5 origional mark miller
Thats my top 5
Whats yours.?
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

andye
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 05:15

Home From Home

knocky
mr knock
christopher knock
knock knock
chris knock
Edited by andye on 12-02-2016 16:10

the flash
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 06:14
Quite The Regular

Mev
John Hoy
Nutman jnr (only player with 100% career record)
Pat Flynn (non playing secretary because he's that good)
then close between Rod, Micky Samuals and Jacko, but have to give it to Rod

Only my opinion
because i can

the-shark
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 20:14

Home From Home

difficult as been so many good players over the years, but my personal best 5 would be as follows.

1) rod altes. very good all round player, good tactically and a great potter. hard to beat.

2) sean halligan. great player and a brilliant potter, always enjoyed watching him play. brilliant shot maker.

3) mev ali. again a brilliant potter who can rattle off frames with ease.

4) jacko. cant argue with his trophy haul. solid all round game with few weaknesses.

5) dave macdonald. had to include one of my old team mates, mr 147 (many times) undoubtedly the best player ive played with,could have won loads but wasn't bothered.
www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Animals/Sharks/Pool_shark_2.gif

we may need a bigger boat..!

sparks
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 22:30
Home From Home

Knock three times
Knock on wood
Don't Knock it
Knock one out
Knock Knock who's there

band playing

Shaggy
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12-02-2016 22:42
Must Get Out More

Jason and Mark were not necessarily even the best players in their own team so its tough to put them in at the expense of others, though there are obvious arguments that they should all be in at the detriment of others on any persons list.

John Paul Burns was better than Jason Deegan
Eddie Taylor was better than Mark Miller, and John Goldsmith might have been better than both of them.

Difficult to get a top 5, different table,s different balls, different rules. One thing is for sure and that's that the league has had a lot of really good players over the years.
Edited by Shaggy on 12-02-2016 22:44
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knocky
#7 Print Post
Posted on 13-02-2016 02:56
Must Get Out More

andye wrote:
knocky
mr knock
christopher knock
knock knock
chris knock

So funny you *******.
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

longshanks
#8 Print Post
Posted on 13-02-2016 06:32

Must Get Out More

the-shark wrote:
difficult as been so many good players over the years, but my personal best 5 would be as follows.

1) rod altes. very good all round player, good tactically and a great potter. hard to beat.

2) sean halligan. great player and a brilliant potter, always enjoyed watching him play. brilliant shot maker.

4) jacko. cant argue with his trophy haul. solid all round game with few weaknesses.

5) dave macdonald. had to include one of my old team mates, mr 147 (many times) undoubtedly the best player ive played with,could have won loads but wasn't bothered.

You only chose Halligan because you beat him once and you can't even spell Dave Mac's name right!

Rod has been far and away the best player in my time in the League. Honourable mentions for Mev and Gary Martyn.

longshanks
#9 Print Post

Must Get Out More

the-shark wrote:

You only chose Halligan because you beat him once and you can't even spell Dave Mac's name right!

Rod has been far and away the best player in my time in the League. Honourable mentions for Mev and Gary Martyn.

longshanks
#10 Print Post

Must Get Out More

the-shark wrote:

nuttmeg
#11 Print Post
Posted on 14-02-2016 15:40
Home From Home

Tony Nuttman (ranked no.2 in 1986)
John Hersey (beat Dave Richards from the Harp rock bar)
Mick O'Donnell (no.1 ranked player in 1941)
Dave Clement (once won two frames on the trot)
Merv Davies (Eagle killer)

Sass
#12 Print Post
Posted on 15-02-2016 17:41

FORUM ADDICT!

In no particular order:-

Jacko
Rod
Mev
Nigel Clarke
Danny Evans

www.croydonpool.com
nuttmeg
#13 Print Post
Posted on 15-02-2016 21:37
Home From Home

So no players from the team that's won 18 first division's 2000 league cups and 5000 KO cups?

the-shark
#14 Print Post
Posted on 17-02-2016 00:27

Home From Home

youve won to much anyway nuttmeg drunk
www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Animals/Sharks/Pool_shark_2.gif

we may need a bigger boat..!

Truey
#15 Print Post
Posted on 18-02-2016 10:12
Quite The Regular

No particular order but I'd put up 7 to make a great side
In the old best of 7 days

Sean Halligan
Mev Ali
Rod Altes
Paul Wildman
Wayne Pope
Tony Jackson
Metin Tomris

I can't think of any better players I've played with/against

What happened to this site......glory days gone I guess confused

HOW LONG LEFT ?

jacko
#16 Print Post
Posted on 21-02-2016 01:17
Must Get Out More

I've played in Croydon for many years n competed against all these players at there peak in many many ko comps and time and time again the same player come out top with the cash in his pocket or the Trophy so my order is
1) Tony Jackson ,not a flashy player but has all the shots n more n most importantly thrived on pressure n the best pool brain...(in my eye's by far the best as trophies n cash comps prove)
2) Rod ,quality disher ,decent all round game,n like myself tough competitor n very very hard to beat when on song.
I believe there is a gap down to the other players and not much between them but i would maybe in this order put
3)Mev ,great potter who's tactical brain has improved over time.
4)Eddie ,another quality disher.
5)Metin ,superb attacking player but maybe tactical play can let him down a tad.
other great players like goldsmith ,jumps,shaggy,halligan could easily be put into the 3rd 4th or 5th spot n there's no doubt i've forgot a few...
On there day every player is almost unbeatable so i kind of look at who consistently brings a high standard to the table n are hard to beat n when its crunch time can step up when others may falter ,the strongest mind n will to win quiet often prevails in many sports...obviously i stopped playing n practising as such 5 years or so even tho i still win stuff i'm only top 20 at best these days n Rod as gone downhill aswel n the league as shrunk so Mev has little competition these days n will no doubt eventually win more trophies n carry on dominating this era.. butter wouldn't melt ...

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Eden Cues
Eden Cues
Miscellaneous
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing