oddball240 weeks
Knocky245 weeks
Teach249 weeks
FoxC261 weeks
cazza266 weeks
andye266 weeks
jacko266 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
2014 SUMMER LEAGUE
Viper
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03-04-2014 19:11
Must Get Out More

The 2014 Summer League has currently 30 accepted teams and 3 reserve teams, 5 Down, BLC Boshers and Another View that has paid their full subscription fees which is being held on file awaiting any further late teams (possible 4 with One Player Short’s application form and fee being awaited). Should no futher teams apply by Saturday 19th April then I would like to hear views about the Summer League being increased to 12 teams per division with a BYE in each. The problem that this will cause is that 4 extra weeks would have to be found in the playing calendar and until I know what numbers are going to be entered into the KO competitions then it is hard at this stage to know where to find these 4 extra dates. What I do know is that at some stage 2 league matches would have to be also played on a Monday night as well as the normal Tuesday (as we do have 2 natural Tuesday dates that are free before the 2014/15 Winter League starts) and to find these extra Mondays I could find those 2 by holding all KO & Plate finals on the same night. Would you be happy for me to jostle around the fixture lists once I become aware of the numbers involved within the KO comps. The double up league matches would be Mon 15th & 22nd September.

Just as a reminder that the KO entries have to be received by Friday 18th April

Brooker
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03-04-2014 20:54
Home From Home

Hi Mark

One player short will definitely be playing in the summer league, i think Alan has sent off the form now, & i am fairly confident we will continue to live up to our name & continue to turn up 1 player short several times throughout the season.

Although hopefully we may have the Legend that is Steve Deegan back for all home games.
I would rather be playing golf

Fat-Dart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04-04-2014 15:11

FORUM ADDICT!

Brooker wrote:Although hopefully we may have the Legend that is Steve Deegan back for all home games.

"All that, for that?" Grin

Viper
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04-04-2014 20:57
Must Get Out More

After taking into consideration valid points and views regarding the set up of the 2014 Summer season and having a lengthy conversation with the chairman it has been decided that the League will be formed of 3 divisions of 12 teams with all league matches to be played on a Tuesday night with no weekly double ups on a Monday night for League matches. This will encroach upon the 2014/15 Winter League season by 2 weeks and the provisional way of thinking at this moment is that there are 50 playing Tuesdays a year, taking into consideration the 2 week break over Christmas, so having a 22 week league season in both the summer and winter this will leave 6 playing Tuesdays to play the 1st stage round robin of the League Cup competition. Currently we use 9 weeks seeing that the groups are formed of 4 x 10 teams (inc Byes). If we condense the groups to a maximum of 6 teams then dependent on the actual teams that do enter the next winter league then 5 of these Tuesdays can accommodate those matches. This will increase the number of groups taking the 2013/14 season as an example so the number that eventually qualify for the 2nd stage will be reduced in each group to accommodate this. We can discuss this fully at the AGM in September when numbers will be known. I can confirm that there are 34 teams entered into the Summer League at present so Divisions 2 and 3 will have 1 Bye with Division 1 having none.

Special K
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05-04-2014 02:05
Must Get Out More

Super

Mark Haudsley bow
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Viper
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2014 15:03
Must Get Out More

This a copy of an e-mail that I have sent out to the rest of the committee this morning and I will take open views from the membership on here.

Lads,

I had a discussion with Andy Patrick last night re The Folly being shuffled up to Div.1 ,,,, Their argument was that the Farley Dukes had signed up players like Mev Ali, Graf Bishop and Mick O'Donnell (possibly Mick Samuels as well) who were with The UnPredictables who have not entered the summer league and they felt that players with that quality should not be in Div.3 and that Farley Dukes should take The UnPredictables status. Now thats all well and good but it would be just be a quick fix for 2014.

What is needed I think is to abolish the practise of teams being shuffled up over relegated teams and that relegated teams should be shuffled back up if the need arises. Geoff Glass introduced this system many moons ago and I think its now time to seriously review the situation as the system of forming divisions is not cast in stone within our rules. The argument was that if teams are relegated then they should stay relegated as it was not fair to re-instate them into their previous division if shuffle-ups were to apply but on the other hand surely its also unfair to shuffle-up teams that finished 3rd, 4th, 5th etc etc who were not good enough to be promoted. Its a sticking point I know but does need to be looked at.

This is how the summer league set up would look if we was to abolish the Shuffle-Up system as it stands

Your views lads would be appreciated.

Division 1
THE PROPELLER
THE BETTER HALFS
THE WARBANK
FORUM ‘A’
LOCK,STOCK & 2EB’s
FRAMES RACK PACK
THE WIZARDS (R/SU)
RILEYS SNOOKER (R/SU)
FARLEY LOYALISTS (P)
LEGENDS (P)
GOODFELLAS (SU)
AWFUL JUAN & ONE FERRULE (SU)

Division 2
BROMLEY LABOUR CLUB BOSHERS (LT)
THE FOLLY
ONE PLAYER SHORT (LT)
MAPLE TREE
THE VIEW TO A KILL (R/SU)
FARLEY DUKES (R/SU)
RILEYS MISFITS (P)
PENGE CON BOYS (P)
FARLEY SMALL POTATOES (SU)
JOLLY SAILOR (SU)
FLYING MACHINE (SU)
BYE

Division 3
ANOTHER VIEW (LT)
THE LORD NAPIER
LANGLEY LODGERS (R/SU)
BIGGIN BLUNDELLS (P)
CUE SLAMMERS (P)
PAWLEYNE QUIRKS
PAWLEYNE ARMS
5 DOWN (LT)
FORUM ‘B’
PCC ORIGINALS (NT)
YOU’VE BEEN FRAMED (DNT)
BYE

Andy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2014 17:26
Getting The Hang Of It

Just to give the situation a bit more context, The Folly finished 6th in Div 2 last season after previously struggling to retain our place in the division. As a team we look to enjoy Tuesdays nights and have a few beers and play some pool. For the majority of the team this is the only time a week we play and whilst we all try our best to win and want to continue to improve, the enjoyment factor is important. To finish 6th and then get shuffled up to Div 1 where we would inevitably get a battering most weeks would in all likelihood only serve to send us all home fed up every Tuesday night and negate the main reason we come out to play. If we were to get to Div 1 on merit then that is different but as a team we are only just establishing ourselves as a Div 2 side.

Mark did say that the current requirement is that teams get shuffled up in the order that they finished the previous season. Should there be no objections from other members I am more than happy for a team that finished below us to go up in our place should they so wish. However, should that not be possible, and in view of the decision made at the AGM a couple of years ago that “new teams” should not necessarily be put in at the bottom but should be placed in a division based on the ability of the players in the team, I do think that the potential make-up of this summer’s Farley Dukes (whilst not a “new team”) is a comparable situation.

At no point was my intention to see other teams who had originally been shuffled up to higher divisions, and did want to play there, penalised and this continues to be the case. I would much rather another team take our place in Div 1 for the summer (whether this be a team that finished below us in Div 2 last summer and would like a crack at Div 1 or the Farley Dukes) and then if the other member teams were in favour of Mark’s proposal on relegated teams/shuffling up, for this to take effect from next winter league.

Viper
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2014 17:49
Must Get Out More

Andy, I appreciated and respected your comments last night and the same for your post here but at the end of the day, whether the Farley Dukes are shuffled up into Div.1 (which they are going to be after my discussion with Mark Bannister this morning and within the permitted committee discretion given to us by the members at the AGM you mentioned) ........ It still is a quick fix.

What is needed is clear defined guidelines re setting up a league and the sticking point is with relegated and shuffled up teams. We are using a system I believe is outdated now as a relegated team has in fact finished in a higher position than any shuffled up team from the previous season. It does not make my job any easier when Divisions are increased by a further 2 teams as well but a simple solution is always the best one.

The closing date for entries for the 2014 Summer season was the 19th March and here we are on the 9th April and I am no nearer to knowing team status’s. I am trying to find a happy medium should I say to be fair to 99.9% of the membership and I think that I have found it but am open to constructive suggestions.

Andy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09-04-2014 18:12
Getting The Hang Of It

Thanks Mark and thanks for your voicemail which I have now picked up explaining the developments. I totally agree with you that a review of the current process is required. I appreciate you have a difficult job to do trying to satisfy all the teams and make it fair for all participants and greatly appreciate the time you have taken to resolve The Folly's personal request. Thanks also to Mark B for his understanding.

the flash
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11-04-2014 15:25
Quite The Regular

I haven't spoke to Mark Bannister yet so I don't know his opinion on this or indeed the other players in the team, but I think it is really unfair and it's not right to move the Dukes up to div 1. just because we have signed 2 players of div 1 standard, who asked if they could join because they just wanted to come out and have fun on Tuesday that the team get moved up. Remember all the players from this season are still the same and they will all be playing every match, so you are going to put up a team that is currently 3rd in div 3 because we have signed 2 players that just wanted to join the team to have a good night out.

I also find teams complaining about who is signed also out of order, do they know the rest of the team, have they played us this season. 2 added players doesn't make us a div 1 team. What were our results in the cup, we scrapped through in 4th place, we then lost heavily both are cup games against div 1 and div 2 teams and just beat are own div opponents, would 2 more wins have made any difference.

However you wish to justify what is happening and even if Mark and the team agree and want to play div I, I still think it is wrong and incredibly unfair.

One last point, as someone who post her often and knows more about pool than most, I would ask Shaggy what he thinks as we played them in the cup at home, does he think the adding of Mev and Graf(who will likely only play 1 game each) make us a div 1 team.

because i can

Special K
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11-04-2014 20:33
Must Get Out More

Mr flash,

U make a food point there but what I will add to your comment is

Surly having a season in div 1 will benefit your game will kinda make u lot better players!! Also won't it be good on the old cv to have had a season in div 1? U have zero pressure on your selfs u have nothing to lose!! Try it out u never no u may cause some great upsets!!!!! If I was u I'd be excited to have the new challenge bro!
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

Shaggy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11-04-2014 21:40
Must Get Out More

Without being disrespectful to anyone, John Hoy was the only player in the team that would be capable of playing and winning on a regular basis in Div 1, the team as was, would struggle severely in Div 1.

If Graf and Mev played twice every week then the team would be fine I am sure, 3 good players playing twice is probably good enough to get some results, it is unlikely to be good enough to turn you in to a 'super team' though.

House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the flash
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11-04-2014 23:22
Quite The Regular

Special K,

I myself have played and won div 1 previously and my game is on the way down now rather than up, so not that much of a big thing for me. I have really enjoyed playing div3 this season, as it is more about a night out of pool and enjoying yourself.

Isn't your statement also the same for the Folly, even more so for them as they are a div 2 team.

As for the team, getting beat most weeks won't be fun for them. Mev and Graf and not going to get 2 games every week, the whole team will have a game and as it is now the 3rd game goes to different players. You will also be robbing them of having the pleasure of winning div 3/div 2 is that fair ??. Some players in the team have played in the league for a long, long time and not won much if anything and they were excited that they had a serious chance of actually winning something, again is it fair to take it from them and give them a favourites chance of going straight back down.

Also in the point of it's only one season, that is true, but it is then 3 seasons until you get back to right division.

However you want to dress it up it is unfair and wrong. Div 3 to Div 1, i'm sure there are plenty of teams in-between who should be moved up first
because i can

Viper
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11-04-2014 23:33
Must Get Out More

Flash, I respect your comments but I suggest you do speak to MB as along with Mev and Graf there is serious talk that Mick O'Donnell, Francois Tertulian and Mick Samuels signing. I have spoken to MB and his words were that "It might be embarrasing playing in Div.3 with these players" ....... and I have to make him right.

the flash
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12-04-2014 00:11
Quite The Regular

Mick O Donnell was signing and saying that he didn't want to play it was for a night out and maybe have the odd game and Micky Samuels doesn't want to sign (according to him this morning). MB is a gentlemen who wouldn't want to cause a fuss.
because i can

Viper
#16 Print Post
Posted on 12-04-2014 00:17
Must Get Out More

As I said, speak to your team secretary and get him to speak to me

Knocky
#17 Print Post
Posted on 12-04-2014 02:41
Must Get Out More

I'm signing for the dukes as well lol
This has been blown out of all poop
Wether or not Graf and MeV play for the dukes in the 3 rd division makes no differance to the team,have you seen Graf play this season (poop)lol
If I played for a team in a lower division I would like to play a top player just to claim a moral boast beating them.
Let them remain where they are
That's my view anyway
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Teach
#18 Print Post
Posted on 12-04-2014 13:37

Home From Home

knocky wrote:
I'm signing for the dukes as well lol
This has been blown out of all poop
Wether or not Graf and MeV play for the dukes in the 3 rd division makes no differance to the team,have you seen Graf play this season (poop)lol
If I played for a team in a lower division I would like to play a top player just to claim a moral boast beating them.
Let them remain where they are
That's my view anyway

Why don't the Unpredictables just enter their own team? They can then slot straight into the div 1 spot that nobody seems to want and that would also remove one of the byes from a lower division.

I'm sure your comment was tongue in cheek about Graf but he was by far your best player last week! Not bad for a team with Mev and Mr Shaw in, eh?
Knockout Cup Winners 2011, 2014 trophyone

Division One Summer Champs 2011, 2012, 2015 trophyone

Viper
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12-04-2014 15:38
Must Get Out More

This will be what the League programme will be based on when I prepare the fixture lists next saturday

Division 1
THE PROPELLER
THE BETTER HALFS
THE WARBANK
FARLEY DUKES (R/SU)
FORUM ‘A’
LOCK,STOCK & 2EB’s
FRAMES RACK PACK
THE WIZARDS (R/SU)
RILEYS SNOOKER (R/SU)
FARLEY LOYALISTS (P)
LEGENDS (P)
BIGGIN BLUNDELLS (P/SU)

Division 2
GOODFELLAS
AWFUL JUAN & ONE FERRULE
BROMLEY LABOUR CLUB BOSHERS (LT)
THE FOLLY
ONE PLAYER SHORT (LT)
MAPLE TREE
THE VIEW TO A KILL (R/SU)
RILEYS MISFITS (P)
PENGE CON BOYS (P)
FARLEY SMALL POTATOES (SU)
JOLLY SAILOR (SU)
BYE

Division 3
FLYING MACHINE
PAWLEYNE QUIRKS
ANOTHER VIEW (LT)
THE LORD NAPIER
LANGLEY LODGERS (R/SU)
CUE SLAMMERS (P)
PAWLEYNE ARMS (SU)
5 DOWN (LT/SU)
FORUM ‘B’ (SU)
PCC ORIGINALS (NT/SU)
YOU’VE BEEN FRAMED (DNT/SU)
BYE

PR = Promoted Teams from 2013
R = Relegated Teams from 2013
NT = New Teams for 2014
DNT = Deemed New Teams from 2013
SU = Shuffled Up after closing date and revision
LT = Late Teams who entered after closing date

the flash
#20 Print Post
Posted on 13-04-2014 01:03
Quite The Regular

I speak for myself, absolute disgrace !!, I hope MH that your efforts have personally made the folly happy. A sad, sad state of affairs.

The fact a team can complain about how hard there opposition is and they get moved !!!!!(even though they supposedly only come out for fun)
because i can

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Mev Ali
Mev Ali
2005 CroydonPool.com Open
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing