jacko265 weeks
View Thread
 Print Thread
Creating new threads
Site Team
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2013 07:13

Super Admin

When creating a new thread please ensure that it is put in the correct forum and a thread for the same division/competition has not already been posted

If one has already been posted, please reply to that

This will ensure threads stay in the correct place and are not duplicated

A King Disher
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2013 18:37
Home From Home

My dear Administrator,
Your point is taken very clearly.
There always is and always will be 1 originator of a thread.
But unfortunately we have a few whom what their say to be heard louder so totally disrespect an originator and create another so that it shows as a newer one higher up in the list.
It's a bit like what happens in the Yellowpages where a company will put A1 before their company name so that they appear first in the listing.
I guess you'll have to develope some form of format where no 2 similar threat titles can appear at the same time in any 2 week periods.

That's my say and I'm sure I'm entitled to it !
Out Fishing and LFrownFrownKING for a bite !! www.croydonpool.com/images/smiley/bite.gif

Fat-Dart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06-02-2013 19:13

FORUM ADDICT!

Steve, That wasn't the point of the message.

The problem is mainly with people starting new threads in the wrong forums. (the bit showing in grey under each title (i.e. Winter League etc) If a new thread is created while in a particular forum, then that new thread will also reside in that forum, whether it's relevant or not.

I actually raised this issue as one of the forums (Croydon Singles League) had threads created in it by loads of people to post their Tuesday results, Singles/Doubles results etc., none of which are relevant to Croydon Singles League.

When I then look for items under Croydon Singles League, I have to trawl through a load of irrelevant stuff because people haven't bothered to check which forum they are starting a thread in.

As for developing formats etc, much of that is tied down to the site structure itself, which isn't always able to be changed.

As for duplicate threads, these are harder to avoid as it's possible to have more than one person typing a new thread on the same subject at the same time, especially on Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings.

Viper
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2013 03:36
Must Get Out More

peter@refugees wrote:
I am guilty of this lol not intentionally.Apologies Mark Smile
Perhaps a simple thing to help avoid this mark is just put a blank reference to each mon/tue singles/doubles etc then all follow that thread to avoid the confusion.
Hope this helps.

no 3 Turk
Peter, I have nothing to do with the set up or running of this web site ........ Its Mr Saxton you should be addressing

Fat-Dart
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2013 03:49

FORUM ADDICT!

I think the 'Mark' to whom Peter refers is me in this instance, Mr.H.

Peter, the sentiment, however, remains the same, as Paul does all things site-related.
I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare to add stuff like you're suggesting, it'd be easier if people just started new threads by starting with the forum button on the left and choosing the right one from there. It's not rocket science.
Grin

Viper
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07-02-2013 04:04
Must Get Out More

I think your right Mr Stallard lol .... No, I would say you are right Mr Stallard !!

Fat-Dart
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08-02-2013 01:37

FORUM ADDICT!

applause

Sass
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08-02-2013 21:21

FORUM ADDICT!

I've been running these websites for years. If you show the latest threads on the homepage then people will never click on the Forum button so people will only start threads in the topics that are covered by the latest threads.

But not harm in asking Shock

www.croydonpool.com
Rambo
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10-02-2013 03:34
Home From Home

Sass wrote:
I've been running these websites for years. If you show the latest threads on the homepage then people will never click on the Forum button so people will only start threads in the topics that are covered by the latest threads.

But not harm in asking Shock

Exactly what I do, View threads by the homepage.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Brian Clarke
Brian Clarke
Charity Challenge Match 2005
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing