oddball239 weeks
Knocky243 weeks
Teach247 weeks
FoxC260 weeks
cazza265 weeks
andye265 weeks
jacko265 weeks
View Thread
CroydonPool.com - The CDPL Online Community :: Croydon & District Pool League :: Winter League
 Print Thread
CROYDON MONEY LEAGUE
Viper
#1 Print Post
Posted on 28-07-2014 20:25
Must Get Out More

This conversation cropped up under another thread so could I have some feedback and if it is acceptable to be OPTIONAL and not CONDITIONAL then perhaps we could take it forward to be discussed in principle at the forthcoming Winter League AGM

Danny Kelliher wrote :
No worries mark I understand mate maybe 1 day I be bk not that your bothered about me playing in croydon again ha ha

Mark Halsey response :
I don't have a problem with you playing in Croydon mate as you are a quality player and a character to go with it but as I said earlier it is freedom of choice where individuals want to play. However, you have given me an idea where a money league could run side by side within a grass root set up. You could offer all teams the choice of putting a seperate amount into a seperate pool and for those that have opted into this option (in all divisions) can play for the full amount of this pool within the League programme. Just a thought and nothing more than that at this moment.[/i]

Brooker
#2 Print Post
Posted on 28-07-2014 21:14
Home From Home

I personally wouldn't want to be involved in a money side of the league but, would really need to know more details about how it would run to make a fully educated decision.

Is it a case for instance that if a division of 10 teams has 5 teams contribute a sum of say £100 per team, those 5 teams would then play for the £500 in a kind of seperate division within the division & an agreed payout for example £300 for the winners & £200 for second ?

Would a newly promoted team to the first division really fancy putting up an even £100 withe the Eagles, Prop, Cue masters & Unpreds & fancy finishing in the top 2 to double their money ?

You could also have say 5 third division teams agrre to put in £100 only to find out at the start of the season a newly formed team in their division consists of top rate ex 1st division players looking to make an easy buck, this could cause bad feeling amongst teams.

I would like to see an agreed format before making a final decision though, & the fact it is optional means all those in favour can go for it regardless of what anyone else thinks, so at least its very democratic in that sense.
I would rather be playing golf

Viper
#3 Print Post
Posted on 28-07-2014 21:52
Must Get Out More

How it would run Chris would be discussed in principle by the membership and formatted by the same with all your valid points raised no doubt being discussed more fully with an agreed format if its a goer, but as you have stated in your closing sentence ........... It would be optional.

Shaggy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 29-07-2014 16:15
Must Get Out More

I wouldnt vote in its favour, but if the masses wanted it, id play. I dont think its in the spirit of this particular league, although it works quite happily in many other leagues within the South East.

How would it improve the league? Ithink the only effect it will have is players that dont live in or near Croydon putting in teams, and it becoming a Croydon and Far from District League.
Edited by Shaggy on 29-07-2014 16:15
House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andye
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05-08-2014 14:41

Home From Home

None of us do this for the money
If we did playing all season for £300 wouldn't be a deal breaker!

It's a friendly league but with money involved there could end up being games thrown for mates etc and that could kill it

The team numbers are falling not because it's not a money league!

None if us are professionals so let's keep it fun!
If you do decide to make it a money league then just set up a direct debit to:
Eagles pool.co.uk sort code 69-69-69 acc 55378008

Special K
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05-08-2014 21:20
Must Get Out More

I think the prop be winning it next season so make the payment to mr macca

Wink
Back to back singles winner, croydon's number 1, Farley open champ that's all butter wouldn't melt ...

TheProf
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06-08-2014 05:31
Quite The Regular

Personally would prefer more emphasis on promoting the game to get new people interested, rather than talk about a money league.

We can always have side-bets on team finishes if people are that interested in playing team matches for money. However, it does assume that people will honour their debts. AND, I'm afraid there were some bad precedents set last winter season.

There may be an argument for the Croydon League to organise an open competition of some kind, particularly if its aim was to recruit new players to the league.

EmDee
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07-08-2014 18:14

Home From Home

TheProf wrote:
Personally would prefer more emphasis on promoting the game to get new people interested, rather than talk about a money league.

We can always have side-bets on team finishes if people are that interested in playing team matches for money. However, it does assume that people will honour their debts. AND, I'm afraid there were some bad precedents set last winter season.

There may be an argument for the Croydon League to organise an open competition of some kind, particularly if its aim was to recruit new players to the league.

^ This is 100% bang on.

Why are we even having this discussion when the league is on its knees? There were 5 or 6 divisions when I started playing and now we have a bye in div 1!

Also, in my opinion, the fact that debts have in the past been very publicly accrued and not honoured should be grounds for refused entry. To me, this is a gentleman's sport and to not honour an agreement is disrespectful and damaging to the whole league.

http://www.joincrash.com
Knocky
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07-08-2014 18:15
Must Get Out More

[quote]TheProf wrote:

Yes,some people don't honour their bets do they NEIL
Sad state of affairs..
summer champs 2008trophyone
div 1 individual winner 2008trophyone
and knockout cup winners 2008 trophyone
croydon singles league iv prem winnertrophyone
plus league cup winners 2011,2012.2014trophyone
plus ko cup plate winners 2011 trophyone summer doubles winners 2010trophyonewinter league champs 2017trophyone
and lots of runner up trophys which have been given to local schools.

Chuckie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08-08-2014 00:28

Quite The Regular

If my team chooses to enter a money league (very doubtful) I could be under peer pressure to gamble myself.

However, I quite fancy the idea of a really big singles league, at least far bigger than any singles league yet. All players could have a home venue to help prevent over crowded poolrooms.

A CroydonPool regulated money singles league without restricting the number of entries would appeal to my competitive nature.

Regards,
Charles Burrows.
Taking my shots looking cool, my self-esteem?s growing tall.
Losing eyes this game is cruel. I do my thing playing pool.

http://www.myspace.com/whitgift
Brooker
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08-08-2014 16:58
Home From Home

Although i am not in favour of this money league idea, i would assume that all monies would have to be paid before the competition starts & held centrally by the league & paid out at the end of the season. This would avoid any person or teams not honouring their bet. If you haven't paid by the start of the competition then you are not in it.

Also if a team were split in their decision as to take part or not, then the players that wanted to participate coulld put uo the stake & take the winnings with the other players in the team not involved of the money side of it at all. This could cause some in house arguments if a player not involved in the money side plays a bad game and loses the team points but, thats down to each individual to decide if they can rely on their team mates or not.

Personally from the comments above i think this is a non starter.
I would rather be playing golf

longshanks
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09-08-2014 04:31

Must Get Out More

I thnk it's a non-starter. Very few, if any, teams would support the idea.

Viper
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09-08-2014 21:03
Must Get Out More

longshanks wrote:
I thnk it's a non-starter. Very few, if any, teams would support the idea.
I think your right, but I had to post this originally to get feedback and thanks for those that have taken the time to post their opinions.

Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Random Photo
Francois Tertullien
Francois Tertullien
Charity Challenge Match 2005
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/04/2022
chasing a chicken

06/01/2022
violin

08/11/2021
fishing for a bite

14/02/2018
boooommmmm

15/01/2018
Congratulations TO LUKE WILSHER STEVE DEEGAN Both making it into the, 2018 Surrey county squad Sunday applause dancing dancing